Operational Research Society of Nepal (ORSN)
The Operational Research Society of Nepal (ORSN) was established on February 1, 2007 by a team that consisted of: founding President Prof. Dr. Sunity Shrestha, Vice Peresident Prof. Pushkar Kumar Sharma General Secretary Govinda Tamang, Secretary Basant Dhakal, Treasurer Krishna Nakarmi. Kabita Bade Shrestha, Sunil Amatya, Raju Manandhar and Binod Manandhar. These officers officially registered ORSN with the Office of the Nepal Govern-ment in Kathmandu.
ORSN applied for IFORS membership in March 8, 2011 and received its letter of acceptance just last November 29. In the long term, ORSN plans to establish an “Institute of Operations Research” in Nepal.
ORSN, a non-profit, public welfare, and social institution, has the following objectives:
- To increase knowledge about Operational Research among the different sectors within Nepal;
- To systematically and effectively collect and publish materials relating to the discipline;
- To contribute to the enhancement of competency among Operational Researchers by organizing national and international studies, researches, trainings, discussions, seminars and workshops;
- To provide consultancy services to institutions in the education, management, industry, business and other sectors; and
- To contribute to the development of operational research in Nepal through linkages with various international institutions.
ORSN members number 50 at the moment. To qualify, applicants must have a master’s degree in disciplines such as, Mathematics, Statistics, Management, Engineering, Economics, and others. The membership types are life-member, ordinary member, institutional member and honorary membership.
Over the years, ORSN has conducted lot of activities, which include talk programs, training cum workshop, seminar and conferences. Since 2010, it has also organized World Statistics Day jointly with the Central Department of Statistics, Tribhuvan University, Nepal. Annually, February 1 is designated as ORSN day when members gather to present their papers.
The 11th Triennial International Conference of the Association of Asia Pacific Operational Research Societies (APORS) was held from August 6-9, 2018 in Kathmandu, Nepal
ORSN launched the first issue of the International Journal of Operations Research-Nepal (IJORN) in 2012.